Chicken soup is comfort food for the body and soul. Full of nutrition, warmth and flavor, this recipe for homemade chicken and noodles is the perfect finish for a cold winter day.
Making Chicken Stock
- One 5-8 pound chicken, thawed and well-rinsed
- Two large carrots
- Two large celery stalks
- One whole onion
- Two cloves garlic
- Salt (may use table salt, garlic salt or celery salt or a combination) and pepper to taste
- Place chicken, vegetables, onion and garlic cloves in a large, heavy stockpot. Fill with warm water until chicken is completely covered. Bring to a boil on stove, then reduce heat and simmer for two hours on low heat.
- Using tongs, carefully remove chicken, vegetables, onion and garlic from stockpot. Discard vegetables. Allow chicken to cool before handling.
- Carefully strain chicken stock with a strainer. Use a kitchen fat separator to remove excess oils from stock. Return strained, skimmed stock to stockpot. Season with salt and pepper.
Making Homemade Noodles
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk or half-and-half
- In small bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in eggs and milk with fork. Mix until all ingredients are combined, but do not over mix. Too much handling will result in tougher noodles.
- Remove dough and knead on floured surface. Again, just knead until dough is workable. Shape dough into a ball and roll with floured rolling pin. Flatten until dough is 1/2 inch thickness.
- Using a pizza cutter or kitchen shears, cut dough into strips for noodles. These noodles will expand in the chicken broth, so cut into thin ribbons. Let rest on floured surface for 15-30 minutes.
Preparing Chicken for Soup
After boiled chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones. Discard. Carefully shred light and dark meat into bite-sized chunks. Chicken will separate as it simmers in the broth, so chunks do not need to be tiny.
Preparing Chicken Noodle Soup
- One batch homemade chicken stock
- One batch homemade noodles, uncooked
- Cooked, shredded chicken meat, light and dark
- Five large carrots, sliced
- Three celery stalks, sliced
- In large stockpot, bring chicken stock to a boil. Add three cups water and simmer.
- To simmering water, carefully add homemade noodles. Stir gently. Add sliced vegetables. Cover and simmer on low heat for 60 minutes. Taste before serving. Season with table salt, flavored salt and freshly cracked pepper as desired
Serve homemade chicken soup with a crisp green salad and homemade bread.
This is a delicious addition to a Soup Swap Party.
Chicken stock freezes well and can be used as a base for many other soup recipes.…